What is Your Favorite Work of Art?


What did I love about it?
Salvador Dali's Last Supper. This is the painting I fell in love with on my honeymoon. This photo doesn't do it justice. The impression was more about the light and transcendence.  It is very big, and it was in a room filled with natural light. The painting looked like a window into the hereafter, just like in the picture depicting the almighty in the background. The transparency of the layers fascinated me. Of course there's more to appreciate and analyze, but after all these years, the first impression of this one painting touched me like nothing before ever had. I'd been to many museums before and since, and I've seen many pieces of great art, but in that moment when I saw this, it felt like love at first sight.

Emotion in writing can come from so many internal experiences. I enjoy remembering this moment. I felt ebullient. Thrilled and awed. I wanted to create that beauty in some way. So over the years I've tried painting and sculpting, poetry and writing, as well as many other forms of creativity. There have been moments of satisfaction when I've admired something I've achieved,  and yet I'm still reflecting on that special moment...striving to bring the same sense of awe to  another with my work.

Comments

  1. I would love to see that painting in person. I haven't been to an art show or museum for a few years. My daughter and I enjoy some visits together but now that she's at college, she visits around Boston without me. I do find it inspiring for my writing when I'm around such creativity.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I hope you benefit from my blog and thank you for commenting...